Saturday, May 27, 2006

Back in La Paz

Well, for anyone still reading the blog, my appologies for the big gaps in entries. Before embarking on this trip, I read lots of other cruisers' blogs and the trend is quite indicative of a dying Blog! So depressing.

Anyway- the big gap between March and April was due to our laptop crashing. Then we went home to Eugene, Oregon from La Paz vs. sailing further up into the Sea of Cortes. I know, you think we're crazy, but we really were pooped. It was a good call, as we had a lot of fun in Oregon including me (Ian) working for my Dad and step-Mom, Heidi (with a little help) getting a big garden going at her Mom's house and the kids stretching their legs. We are enjoying the luxury of letting the kids play in the back yard and not having to watch them with an Eagle's eye as we did at the beaches and parks in Mexico. Our parents have been very generous in babysitting the kids so Heidi and I can go on dates and plan for the next phase of our life. I actually got to go on a small group mt. bike ride in Oakridge, and I have loaded the VW van up for spontaneous camping trips. I am very eager to spend time in the drier equivalent of the beautiful Pacific Ocean- the forests of the Pacific Northwest. My brother-in-law Marc bought a keen fishing boat and I hope we can harvest some yummy dungeoness crab this sumer.

So being as we left Chaitanya in La Paz five weeks ago, I had to return to load her onto the Dockwise Transport Ship that will gently deliver Chai to Nanaimo on the east coast of Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. From there, we will sail her to Seattle to (weep, weep, sniff) sell her. While we were gone, we contracted some locals to redo all the exterior varnish. It was nice to come back to.

It's been four days now since I returned to La Paz (solo) and I am just plugging away at projects and not much else. I am watching some of the early Soprano's episodes that we could't watch with the kids around. It was pretty hot the first couple days, but a breeze has been up for the last two days that has cooled things off significantly. I actually got cold last night on my walk.

It's pretty depressing being here. For one, I don't have my family, and that makes it a little too lonely and quiet. Secondly, most of the boats we knew have moved up into the sea or around Cabo and back to the US. Dan and Noah from Sunbaby will be here monday or tuesday to load their boat on the DYT ship, but I figure they will be pretty busy with puting things away for the transport.

Topaz are here (Mark and Karen) and we will meet for dinner tonight, but they are all the way out at the Marina Costa Baja, which is nice, but a ways out of town. Allen, Kathy and Morgan aboard Love Song have hung out a little, and I got to babysit Morgan (loved playing with Jonah's toys).

I have given up my illusions of alternative transportation home (bus, train, hitching, carjacking) and purchased a flight. I'm sure Heidi will be eager to get her parenting partner back, and we can scout out the rentals in Florence.

Don't know when the next update will be, so please drop us a line at our electronic mail address, which is the word sail followed with no space by the name of our boat, the symbol for "at" and then "gmail" (no quotations) dot com. Sorry about the cryptic address, but spammers have programs that scan all these blogs for contact info.

Be well and follow your heart-
Ian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home